Education is the route to opportunity and prosperity. Successive governments have never accorded education the top priority it deserves. The objective must be the delivery of world class excellence for all.
The Peoples Party will:
- double education funding to £210bn or an average of £20,000 a pupil to fundamentally improve education at all levels
- establish “state” schools as independent charitable trusts and give them the power to manage to make the best use of resources – using the best private schools as role models
- improve the status of teachers, paying professional salaries for the professionals that outstanding teaching demands
- introduce a new ethos that makes education both flexible and relevant, ensuring that it equips children to get the best from the opportunities of the future. Learn from international best practice to foster excellence in educational outcomes, rather concentrating on the traditional input based subject by subject approach. Education is key to closing the UK’s productivity gap with other developed countries
- introduce a new system of assessing achievement to replace A levels and GCSEs focussing on the “real world” skills that pupils need to thrive in the 21st century
- introduce three 13 week terms and one 12 week term. Apart from a week over Christmas and New Year, abolish set school holidays with parents taking children out of school to suit their holiday arrangements. Lengthen the school day to up to 6pm for primary school children, and later for secondary school pupils
- encourage competitive sport and after school activities
- making schools knowledge and resource centres for communities open 7 days a week. Ensure the facilities are used much more intensively, providing educational opportunities throughout life
- stimulate vocational education
- encourage people to pursue teaching as a “second career” so that the benefit of their experience is passed on – “those that can do and then they teach.” Abolish the need for teaching qualifications for mature teachers, with the focus on inspiring pupils to achieve and succeed
- abolish all university tuition charges, reintroduce student grants and “wipe clean” existing student debt
- allow parents who choose to pay for education to offset school fees against education tax or opt for vouchers up to £20,000 per pupil
Links to third party sites are included for further information and do not imply support for The Peoples Party or its policies.