The current system does not deliver the first class integrated health care people deserve and expect. The NHS must be properly funded to ensure that people have access to the best possible care throughout their lives.. The neglect of social care is a disgrace, the system must be transformed for those requiring and delivering care.
Health is not just about treating people when they get sick, it is about preventing sickness in the first place. This principally involves encouraging people to eat better, to take exercise and not to smoke. It also requires a comprehensive health screening to diagnose and treat medical problems in their early stages.
The Peoples Party will:
- introduce “a right to first class health care, free at the point of use”
- abolish waiting lists, the “right” to health care means it care must be offered when it is medically required
- change the NHS from the National Health Service to the National Health Scheme, the focus being on delivery of health rather than the treatment of sickness
- the NHS will cover the full cost of all treatments, including prescriptions, dental and eye care
- increase health care funding by at least 25% and establish competitive, non profit health management organisations (HMOs) to improve the accountability, delivery and performance of health services
- ensure a professional working environment for all healthcare staff
- give every hospital and treatment centre responsibility for managing its own affairs, staffing levels and use of resources
- fund all social care, embrace ways of improving the quality of life for those not able to care for themselves, including the creation of retirement campuses and villages. Carers must be valued and rewarded for the challenging role they perform.
- ensure the highest quality treatments, cost control and the value for money through a legally empowered audit function
- establish specialist hospitals to treat those conditions for which significant demand exists
- increase focus on mental health care, and provided increased support for those suffering from and caring for dementia
- allow people to deduct the costs of private health insurance or treatment from their health tax
- limit the scope of medical negligence claims
- give British citizens for worldwide medical cover under the NHS
- require GP surgeries to open at weekends and provide 24/7 cover
- preserve existing and create a new network of cottage hospitals
- expand and develop preventative care services and dramatically improve health screening
- introduce incentives including deductions from health tax for healthy life styles
- help tackle obesity by subsidising high protein foods such as meat and fish alongside fresh fruit and vegetables
- legalise assisted dying and establish a new profession to help individuals take responsibility for “end of life issues” and to make decisions about their own death
- encourage paying foreign nationals to seek medical care in the UK