Trust in politics
Democracy is vitally important and in peril. Constant vigilance is required maintain, strengthen and defend democratic values. The freedom to debate competing ideas within a tolerant framework supported by the rule of law are extremely precious and must be championed.
Democracy needs to be protected by democrats. Democracy is threatened by politicians who deceive voters. History has shown how democracies can be subverted, the rise of the Nazis in Germany illustrates how democracy can be corrupted. Free speech is crucial yet technology gives opportunities to those with malicious intent to gain power by denying truth. It also gives opportunities to totalitarian regimes to interfere in democratic countries to influence elections and public opinion.
A delicate balance must struck between promoting rival ambitions for the future and boldfaced lies. We believe that politicians who lie, who knowingly make false promises and distort the truth should face severe punishment. Taking advantage of voters with ulterior motives, especially when vital national interests are at stake Is akin to treason.
The Peoples Party will:
- rebuild trust in democracy by delivering on our promises
- ensure that through outstanding education people are able to make informed choices between political parties and politicians
- create new criminal offences of “lying in or to obtain public office” and “incompetence in public office”
- create an offence for Ministers “to knowingly act against the public interest”
- make offences retrospective with a ten year limit on prosecutions
- ensure that those involved in promoting and implementing Brexit are the first to face prosecution
- take active steps to stop foreign interference in political processes
- go on the offensive to promote democracy in totalitarian regimes