The UK’s handling of coronavirus illustrates the crying need for better government. Sadly we have one of the highest death rates and largest loss of GDP of any major nation. Neither was inevitable but a result of poor decisions, lack of preparation, distorted priorities, disjointed health and social care, underfunding and wishful thinking.
Too little, too late has cost our country tens of thousands of deaths and a fortune in government expenditure and lost economic activity. Nearly £400bn has been spent, much of it recklessly, piling on yet more debt for future generations to pay – approximately £20,000 a head for those under 30.
Never again must our country be caught out. Never again must so many people die and suffer because of basic failures and incompetence. Never again must people be called on to protect the NHS; we need a healthcare system that will protect them. The successful vaccine programme is a shining light, however, shutting the door after so many horses have bolted is scant satisfaction to those who have suffered so much.
The Peoples Party will:
- ensure that the UK is ready for the next pandemic
- a formal enquiry into the performance of ministers and officials to hold individuals to account
- learn from those who dealt with coronavirus far better and implement measures to make certain respond in the most effective way
- provide sufficient stocks of PPE not just for health workers but for every citizen
- make certain that comprehensive plans exist and preparations are made to contain and mitigate the health and economic consequences of any threatened outbreak
- ensure a joined-up approach across the public and private sectors
- fund resilience measures and preparation for pandemics as a key element of defence
- make sure that our country has a world-class health system and that those comorbidities and factors that mitigate against fighting off diseases such as obesity and deprivation are properly addressed