Ensuring long term energy supplies is a primary responsibility of government. Energy must be affordable, sustainable and available. The challenge of climate change means that we must switch to non fossil fuel sources as soon as possible.
Expedient measures such as burning natural gas to create electricity is an extremely wasteful use of a precious resource and, like the use of gas in heating, it contributes very significantly to UK emissions. Further, it makes us increasingly dependent on continental pipelines or LPG tankers, providing a major strategic vulnerability.
Looking to the future, the demand for electricity will increase very dramatically as it provides power for transport and heating, in addition to its current uses. We must act now to make sure that there is sufficient supply.
The Peoples Party will:
- triple UK generation capacity and upgrade the national grid accordingly
- support the construction of small modular reactors (SMRs) as the most practical and environmentally friendly solution to our energy needs and the maintenance of grid stability. We will free Rolls Royce from restrictions in the development and application of this technology. We will also investigate other nuclear options such as compact molten salt reactors (CMSR). Both reactor types could be located on offshore barges as well as on land
- encourage the full exploitation of UK offshore wind resources
- support compressed air and battery plants to store energy from wind
- encourage electrolysis plants to produce green hydrogen to replace fossil fuels in sectors that cannot be electrified
- mandate the replacement of gas boilers with air source heat pumps
- stimulate domestic energy production through solar roofs
- actively promote electric cars and lorries