A home is a fundamental aspiration of all. Aside from practicality and personal satisfaction, it is the foundation of so many things that society needs and wishes to promote. Access to housing is vital for national prosperity.
For far too many people owning a home or even affording the rent on suitable accommodation is an impossible dream. This must change. We must dramatically increase the supply of houses.
We will emulate the Victorian terrace housing programme, providing well designed, good quality eco friendly housing that costs no more than £75,000 a property.
We will encourage green housing on land previously used for livestock farming.
In many areas of the country, second homes conspire to make property unaffordable and unavailable for local people. We will believe it is wrong for people some people to have two homes while others have none.
The Peoples Party will:
- undertake a massive house building programme ensuring that good quality eco friendly houses are built which are affordable for people to buy with mortgages based on average salaries
- make it illegal to discriminate against the self employed in mortgage applications
- stimulate the construction of at least 500,000 new homes a year
- commission a range of peoples houses that will be eco friendly, affordable, efficient and desirable homes to live
- use the planning powers of government and compulsory purchase agricultural land at market value to make sure that nothing gets in the way of this objective
- abolish the requirement to get planning permission in most areas, replacing existing rules with simple rights such as the right to a view and light, actively encourage eco friendly new builds in the countryside and simplify building control
- encourage more intensive use of existing plots, including the demolition of older single houses and their replacement with multiple eco dwellings
- facilitate the older people leaving larger houses with attractive downsizing options
- ban second home ownership, introducing measures that will force existing owners to sell